We invite you to Join The Private Investigators Association of Virginia Inc – PIAVA*, as the association is commonly known – the only membership organization in the Commonwealth of Virginia devoted solely to the private investigations profession.
PIAVA presently offers two types of membership
Regular Membership ▬ Associate Membership
Regular Membership is available to individuals who are registered with the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (VA DCJS) as Private Investigators.
Individuals admitted to PIAVA as Regular Members are entitled to:
→ Vote upon matters affecting the activities and governance of the Association.
→ Hold elected or appointed office in the Association
→ Enjoy all other privileges of membership.
The annual dues for membership in PIAVA as a Regular Member of the Association is $75.00, presently.
Associate Membership is available to individuals who are:
♦ Licensed or otherwise credentialed as a private investigator or an equivalent in any state(s) or jurisdiction(s) other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
♦ Registered with VA DCJS in any private security category(ies) other than Private Investigator.
♦ Supportive of the goals of the Association and work in areas related to the private security industry.
Associate Members may enjoy privileges of Regular Membership, but are not entitled to (1) vote in matters affecting the activities and governance of the Association, or (2) hold elected or appointed office in the Association.
The annual dues for membership in PIAVA as an Associate Member of the Association is $65.00, presently.
Both Regular Members and Associate Members, upon reaching a membership milestone, may formally request to be considered for what has been termed Life Membership.
Life Membership is available to any Regular Member or Associate Member in good standing who:
1. Has been a PIAVA member continuously for a period of no less than ten (10) consecutive years, and
2. Is, upon requesting Life Member status, no less than sixty-five (65) years of age.
Upon receiving a formal request for Life Membership, the Board of Directors shall consider and vote upon such request, and may award Life Member status to the requestor.
Life Members are:
→ Granted life membership within the member class to which the individual belonged (i.e. Regular or Associate) upon formally requesting Life Member status.
→ Not required to pay any membership dues to sustain membership in the Association.
→ Permitted to hold elected or appointed office in the Association if and only if:
1. Membership dues are paid for the duration of any term of office, and
2. Such members are otherwise eligible to serve in an elected or appointed office.
Please visit our Application Page to learn more about the application process and to apply* for membership in The Private Investigators Association of Virginia Inc – PIAVA.
* A complete application for membership in the association includes completion of all required application fields and remittal of initial applicasnt dues respective of the type of membership being sought. Applicant dues can be transmitted electronically (https://www.piava.org/application-fee) or delivered by post to: PIAVA, PO Box 1115, Fairfax VA 22038.
Thank you for your interest!